The second Affiliated Hospital of Guangdong Medical University, also known as Zhanjiang Second People’s Hospital, was established in 1922, which is a comprehensive hospital with the longest history in Zhanjiang. In 1993, the hospital became the non-directly affiliated hospital of Guangdong Medical University. In 2011, with the approval of the Provincial Government of Guangdong, it has been affiliated with Guangdong Medical University, which is the joint training base of the postgraduate students.
Currently, the hospital has 1315 employees, including 170 with a senior professional title and 254 with a middle professional title. The hospital has over 40 clinical and technical departments, one national key laboratory, 810 authorized beds, and 620 available beds. Every year, 510,000 outpatients and emergency cases are treated, with over 30,000 patients being admitted and about 5000 infants are born in the maternity wards of the hospital which is deeply trusted by citizens.
The hospital owns over 40 clinical specialties such as internal medicine, surgery, gynecology and pediatrics. The key specialties, including cardiology, GI medicine, ICU, hepatobiliary surgery, bone surgery, endoscopy center, obstetrics&gynecology, neonatology and ophthalmology, are gradually forming their advantages and characteristics. Part of the medical technology is in the leading position in western Guangdong province, and reaches the domestic advanced level.